29 Jul Alert: Traffic configuration changing Wednesday at US-41/M-28 Marquette Township Project
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MONDAY, JULY 29, 2019
CONTACT: Dan Weingarten, MDOT Office of Communications, 906-250-4809
Alert: Traffic configuration changing Wednesday
at US-41/M-28 Marquette Township project
July 29, 2019 — The traffic configuration is set to change in the Michigan Department of Transportation’s (MDOT) work zone on the US-41/M-28 reconstruction and roundabouts project in Marquette Township.
Beginning after 7 p.m. Wednesday, July 31, the following traffic changes will be in place to allow construction of the roundabouts to begin:
- Eastbound US-41/M-28 will be reduced to one lane near Brickyard Road. Two westbound lanes will be open through the work zone.
- A temporary crossover will be established west of Brickyard Road to allow westbound traffic from the area to turn east.
- The north leg of Brickyard Road will be limited to one lane, right turns out only. A detour to access north Brickyard Road will be via Lowe’s The south leg of Brickyard Road will be restricted to right turns out and right turns in only.
- Two temporary signalized crossovers east and west of Lowe’s Drive will allow indirect turns, or “Michigan Lefts,” across the temporary median.
- The north leg of Marquette County Road (CR) 492 will be limited to one lane, right turns out only. A detour to access north CR 492 will be via Wright Street.
- The western access to Walmart (Walmart Drive) will be restricted to right turns out and right turns in only.
- A new temporary access road to Walmart will be one-way (in only). Both eastbound and westbound US-41 traffic will be able to access it via a temporary traffic signal. The existing east Walmart access will be restricted to two lanes (out only) controlled by that same signal.
- A temporary traffic signal will also be in place at the Wright Street/US-41 intersection.
This traffic configuration is expected to stay in place until early September.
MDOT is reconstructing US-41/M-28 between CR 492 to just west of Brickyard Road, extending the existing boulevard. The project includes replacing signalized intersections with roundabouts at Brickyard Road and at CR 492 near Walmart and Target, along with constructing indirect left-turn lanes, or Michigan Lefts. A new multi-use tunnel will be constructed beneath the highway, just west of CR 492. The budget for the road work is estimated at $8.5 million, with another $2.4 million estimated for the multi-use trail and tunnel.
Project area: https://bit.ly/2UhoUQF.
When you see barrels, people are fixing your roads. Drive like you work here.